Salisbury NHS Foundation Trust provides a range of clinical care, which includes general acute and emergency services, to approximately 240,000 people in Wiltshire, Dorset and Hampshire. Specialist services, such as burns, plastic surgery, cleft lip and palate, genetics and rehabilitation, extend to a much wider population of more than three million people.
The Duke of Cornwall Spinal Treatment Centre at Salisbury District Hospital covers most of southern England with a population of approximately 11 million people. A single site Trust, part of the 32 Lord Carter Trusts, we have a track record as a successful collaborator and early adopter. Our vision is to provide an outstanding experience for every patient. In order to achieve this we are committed to continuous improvement. The implementation of this programme not only supports the vision of our Trust, of putting the patient at the heart of everything we do, but delivers significant financial and efficiency benefit. There is a real appetite for this change, and we firmly believe that it is right for our patients and our staff.
What we’ve been doing
- Patient identification – all patient wristbands 100% GS1 compliant.
- Location numbering – 4,411 GLNs (84% of the Trusts locations) allocated and now have an intranet property register in place (MICAD).
- Catalogue management – Catalogue cleansed and new catalogue management process live
- Product recall – Current product recall process processes mapped
- Purchase to pay – Review of ‘as-is’ P2P processes now completed. All departments reviewed and signed off these processes.
- Inventory management – Questioned and challenged suitability of current IMS, as a result business case for new system approved, which will accelerate delivery of benefits. Significant analysis on all surgical procedures undertaken and loaded to help with ‘Theatres Kitting’ approach.
Our Next Steps
- Safe Care workshops with departments to agree points of positive patient identification. Rolling out and training of selected handheld devices.
- Start to physically add over 4,500 GLNs to all locations
- Roll-out of new Inventory Management System, starting with Cardiology. Agree and roll-out changes/recommendations to P2P processes